BHP Billiton offers bursaries for full-time university and university of technology studies in the following disciplines:
- Mining Engineering
- Mine Surveying
- Extractive Metallurgy
- Industrial Engineering
- Electrical Engineering (Heavy and Light Current)
- Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering (Minerals Processing)
- Geology (Honours).
Bursaries are only open to South African residents and include the following:
- registration and tuition fees
- residence fees or equivalent allowance
- annual cash allowance
- personal computer allowance for recipients of second year bursary
- vacation work for Academic University students and practical training (integrated workplace learning) for Technical University students.