IDC Bursary Information
The Industrial Development Corporation awards bursaries to students who want to pursue tertiary education but do not have enough money to pay for their studies.
IDC bursaries are awarded to students who meet the following criteria:
- South African citizens with a valid ID number residing in the Republic of South Africa and who qualify for admission to a University or University of Technology and FET college, and are not studying with the aid of an employer or bursary.
- Applicants must have grade 12 Maths and Science with a minimum of a B aggregate symbol.
- University or University of Technology students who have already successfully completed one or more years will be considered on their Grade 12 and most recent academic results.
- If you are already studying towards a degree course for which you are applying for a bursary, you must have passed all courses for which you have registered at the university for the study period already completed.
- Applications must be for full time studies towards an academic degree at an accredited South African university or university of technology.
No bursaries are awarded for studies at a college, e.g. Damelin, Boston, etc.
2. IDC Bursary Value
The value of the bursary for full-time undergraduate/ diploma studies comprises of the following:
In the case of bursars residing with their parents/guardians or privately, a stipend is granted. In the case of students residing in official University/ University of Technology residences,full residence fees are paid to the relevant institution (Catering/Self catering residences).
Tuition and registration fees
A stipend for books and stationery is granted bi-annually.
NB. The bursary may also be awarded for the purpose of acquiring a compulsory post-
graduate qualification in order to obtain a prescribed professional status
i.e. Chartered Accountant or BTech or Hons.
Bursaries are renewable annually, subject to acceptable proof of progress from the
3. Bursary Payment Procedure
Bursary payments are made directly to institutions in accordance with the rules of the
University, University of Technology and FET’s
Applicants may enrol at any accredited South African University, University of Technology or
5. Fields of Study
Fields of study in which bursaries are awarded have to be directly related to industry, and will only
include the following:
IDC engineering bursaries are offered for the following egineering studies:
- BSc Industrial
- Analytical Chemistry and
- Geology. (Technikon level leading to B. Tech).
Applied Commercial Sciences bursaries:Bcom (Accountancy CA)
- Bcom Information Systems
- Information Technology
- Computer Science
- Investment Management
- Environmental Science and
NB: No bursaries are awarded for fields of study not listed above
6. Bursary Repayment
Bursars may be expected to remain in the employ of the Corporation for a period equal to the number
of years of the awarded bursary. Such employment is subject to the normal selection procedures and
salary and employment conditions of the Corporation.
7. Eperiential Training
The Corporation does not undertake to provide experiential training for bursars.
8. Application and Selection
It will be expected of applicants to attend an interview.Applicants will be notified of the results of their applicationsas soon as possible after interviews